WESTPAK, Inc. is excited about the ISTA’s newest protocol, ISTA 3L: Generalized E-commerce Retailer Fulfillment Test, and pleased to share the news of its first release in April 2023.
As per ISTA practice with new protocols, 3L is currently in the Project or pilot stage to gather at least one year of feedback from the industry.
ISTA 3L is a test protocol developed explicitly for e-commerce retailers who process and ship products in their original container, i.e., Ships In Own Container (SIOC), either by single parcel or less-than-truckload (LTL) deliveries to end customers in the US.
The new protocol was designed to challenge the ability of both package and product to withstand transport hazards usually encountered while handling and transporting packaged products ranging from small, ten lb. items to large TV monitors weighing 150 lbs. and more.
The minimum quantity of samples required for testing ranges from one for non-fragile products to five for fragile items, including glass, ceramics, liquids, or high-temperature-sensitive solids.
- ISTA 3L was developed from data gathered from field studies of multiple fulfillment centers, industry feedback, industry professionals’ correlation of field damage to laboratory testing, and many years of experience with the ISTA 6 series protocols (Amazon, SAMSCLUB, FEDEX).
Welcome to the Family
The new protocol joins ISTA’s set of General Simulation and Member Performance tests, including:
General Simulation Tests for Individual Packaged Products Shipped Through a Parcel Delivery System
- Procedure 3A: Parcel Delivery System Shipments 150 lb. (70kg) or Less
General Simulation Tests for Packaged Products Shipped Through a Truck Delivery System
- Procedure 3B: Less-Than-Truckload (LTL) Shipment
General Simulation Tests for Unitized Loads to a Distribution Center
- Procedure 3E: Similar Packaged Products in Unitized Loads for Truckload Shipment
General Simulation Tests for Hazards Found Within Retailer E-commerce Fulfillment Operations and Deliveries to the End Customer
- Project 3L: Generalized E-Commerce Retailer Fulfillment Test
ISTA Member Performance Tests for Specific E-commerce Retailers
- ISTA 6-Amazon.com-Over Boxing
- ISTA 6-Amazon.com-SOIC
- ISTA 6-SAMSCLUB
- ISTA 6-FEDEX-A
- ISTA 6-FEDEX-B
What sets ISTA 3L apart from other ISTA protocols?
- 3L applies to all E-commerce retailers.
- 3L includes transit hazards in e-commerce retailer fulfillment systems and shipments to end customers.
- ISTA 3A is a general simulation of the parcel shipping network.
- ISTA 3B is a general simulation of the Less-Than-Truckload (LTL) shipping network.
- ISTA 3L was created with knowledge gained from many years of laboratory test experience and field observations from the ISTA-6 protocols.
What are some differences between ISTA 3L and ISTA 6-Amazon.com-SOIC?
- The ISTA 6-Amazon series protocols were developed for a specific e-retailer; 3L applies to all e-commerce retailers.
- ISTA 6-Amazon.com-SOIC is a general simulation test for Ships In Own Container (SIOC) packaged products shipped to the final customer through Amazon’s distribution system.
Can WESTPAK, Inc. perform ISTA 3L testing?
- Absolutely! WESTPAK’s ISTA Certified Test Laboratories are fully equipped and qualified to perform the testing required by 3L and all the ISTA protocols.
- Don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or a quote request.